Monday, September 8, 2008

Web 2.0

I hadn't seen this video before and have to say it was very inspiring.  I've always been interested in new communication technologies and the web is (still) the most rapidly evolving form of new comm tech.  I've only really dabbled my toes in web design so far - although that's about to change very soon and I'll talk more about that later - but I would really love to become more involved in it.  


Watching the video inspired me to look up the Web 2.0 movement.  Of course I used one of the greatest, if not most accurate, tools on the web - the all knowing Wikipedia.  I browsed through the main article and followed up on another topic of interest to me: the anti-copywrite movement.  It's an interesting idea and their war cry - information wants to be free - is great.  


I'm not sure about how to encourage creators to give up their right to full ownership of their work but discouraging printing companies and record labels from owning rights to work is a fantastic idea.  Kudos to all the professionals who make their work available for free though alternate means of publishing, I only hope people don't end up getting burned by people using their material without giving credit where credit is due.  Right now the 2.0 movement seems a bit overly optimistic.

No comments: